Image Map

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Antique Grey Dresser With Mirror - Project II

This one was love at first sight. A true antique piece circa 1930 which I found on Craigslist. I brought it home and looked at it, and looked at it some more, admiring its sturdy simple lines, and the history that came with it. It is solid wood, dovetail, still on casters and with a serial number on the back, indicating it was made back in the day when these were one-offs made entirely by hand.

 I once read a French wood sculptor say that he waited until the wood spoke to him, to tell him what it wanted to be. I thought this piece wanted to be a teal blue but, the more I looked at it, the more I learned that it did not want to be blue. It told me it wanted to be a shade of grey (lowercase, if you know what I mean).
The Before...



The After...

Vintage, yet modern. Neutral, yet warm. Elegant, yet rustic. So much character in this inspiring and unique piece.

I don't think the best use for this dresser is to serve to store clothes. Despite its sturdiness, the drawers struggle a bit to open just like you would expect of a 80-year old piece. This is a one-of-a-kind piece to be made justice to. It is to be featured, to be admired, to be talked about. I envision this piece in a hallway, so people will notice its simple beauty as soon as they come through the door. In a dining room serving as a buffet and holding delicate linens. In a guest bedroom displaying books and your favorite vintage objects collection.





Technique: I applied two coats of Annie Sloan French Linen Grey, one coat of clear wax and then dark wax for the distressed and patina look. Then I buffed with a cloth just for a little bit of shine. I replated the handles with vintage glass ones I found at a local antique market. 
Measurements:
Price: $350.00

No comments:

Post a Comment