Image Map

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Demilune Console

It was meant to be. Her owner saw my post for this dresser on Craigslist but when she came over to see it, she fell in love with the color of this one. She loved it so much that she was determined to find a piece that would deserve similar treatment and metamorphosis. Please meet Ms. Demilune before.


There was nothing wrong with her. In fact, there were so many things right with her that one could say "why would you ever paint it?". She was delicate, gracious, refined and well polished. So by accepting to work on it I accepted a challenge: give the piece a unique and updated look, while keeping its timeless charm.

The reveal...





When working on it, I knew I wanted the beautiful wood underneath to peak through to give depth to the color, so I distressed some of the decorative details



It was so rewarding working on ithis piece and seeing how each coat of paint, each coat of wax, would accentuate its lines and give this darling Demilune its fullest potential.



The composition of these pictures were all part of the project. The picture frames were all brought to me in different conditions and all underwent tranformations of their own. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of their before but you can imagine a white frame around the pink flower art and an off white plaster for the picture frames.



I am immensely grateful for this experience and for having met someone who believed in me and who encouraged me to be creative. An angel sent from Heaven. I love all pieces that I have worked so far but these ones have a special meaning for me. I applied paint, wax and a whole lot of love and joy, so I know these pieces will always shine wherever they are. All made In Joy!


Technique:
- Demilune: two coats of Annie Sloan French Linen chalk paint. Light sanding. One coat of Annie Sloan clear wax. One thick coat of Annie Sloan dark wax, followed by another coat to accentuate certain details.
- Greenish picture frames: -two coats of Annie Sloan Chateau Grey. A coat of a mixture of glazing and Behr Navajo White paint. One coat of Annie Sloan clear wax.

1 comment: