Image Map

Friday, May 31, 2013

Cafe Au Lait French Provincial Dresser

Ahh, nothing like a traditional French Provincial piece. So refined and so feminine, giving a furniture refinisher (or "messer upper ") an array of options on what to do. It could have been a pink dresser for a girls room, it could have been an old white for a changing table, or a gold and white for a glam dining room. This one, instead, chose to be a creamy Cafe au Lait color with the ornate details and pulls painted in light color for contrast. The real name of this color is Mocha but I thought Cafe au Lait was a more elegant name for a French Provincial. You see, I have fun with my pieces.

I have a matching nightstand but I am waiting to find the perfect handles. This dresser and the matching nightstand gave me hours and hours of work. I had a hard time applying two different colors of paint and drawing precise lines. Everytime I painted around the details, I splashed some of the brown color on the white (and vice-versa) so I had to keep coming back with the opposite color and repaint.


 
The only picture I have of the before is this one, which I took of my Reupholstered Bench. You can see the yellow and gold laminate, definitely not my style. Again, it was the potential that drew me to them.
 

Technique: Two coats of Behr Mocha paint transformed into chalk paint throughout. Two coats of Behr Navajo White transformed chalk in the details and pulls. Several rounds of taping and detailing the two-color application. Clear wax for sealing and heavy buffing.
Price: $245.00

I will be posting the complete set with the nightstand once I find the handles -- maybe when I go to Paris in a few weeks! I will leave you with this picture so you take the yellow taste off your mouth.


 photo in-joy-signature_zps600e1825.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment